Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting My Game On

The following is Mr. Palmer's address to the middle school student body Thursday, January 20, 2011

Over the course of the three-day weekend we just enjoyed, I had the opportunity to do one of my favorite things – play with my kids.  In the past, this involved running around outside, riding bicycles, or going for a walk.  However, I am now regularly challenged to some sort of video game, and I must admit that it usually becomes a humbling experience, to say the least!

Monday, my six-year-old son challenged me to a game of Mario Cart on his new DSI game system.  As I watched him play, I became convinced that, with my twenty-five years of driving experience, I would show him the ropes when it came my turn.  I was wrong.

No sooner did I begin a race than I was blown off the track by everyone – including Donky Kong!  Just when I thought I was getting ahead, some little ghost-looking critter floated above my windshield and promptly covered it with oil, almost completely blocking my view of the track.  The next thing I knew, I was crossing the finish line in 8th place.

I finally won ONE race, but I wondered if that was just a fluke.  I also discovered just how challenging the “rainbow run” can be!

However, the more I played (yes, I did enjoy it and I couldn’t put it down!), the better I got.  Before I knew it, I was handling that little cart like a real pro (or at least I thought so!).

You see, what seems like a daunting task is doable if you stick with it.  I’ve heard it said that you must be bad at something before you can be good at it, and I have found that to be true throughout my life.  I’ve also heard a great term for the attitude of perseverance – “sticktoitiveness.”  Sticktoitiveness is simply the art of staying with something until you are good at it.  It could be mastering a musical instrument, playing a sport, or improving your basic math skills – anything that takes consistent, hard work.

As we continue through this semester, I invite you to take a lesson from me and keep after that thing that is giving you trouble.  Apply some “sticktoitiveness.” Like me, you might just get your game on yet!

No comments: